Saturday 28 March 2015

On choices

My newly resoled Scarpa Thunders have come back from Big John's Retreads in the Blueys. I think about the relatively short journey they've had with me thus far and I'm wondering - where to, henceforth?

Seeing these shoes makes me remember the various outings I've been on with them. Someone once remarked to me that we exchange molecules with the objects with which we expend time and energy, so that we take on some of their characteristics and they, ours.

These shoes "are me", and I, them.

I've been feeling distinctly unmotivated of late. Not least of which because I still have twinges of nerve pain in my foot, and my back crackles and crunches as I move. Healing takes time, even though it appears to be progressing remarkably apace - there is noticeable improvement in my pain, mobility and power, by the day.

When I see my lovely little shoes with their unmarked new soles, ready to step forth anew, I'm spurred on to resuming my climbing adventures. I'm making a conscious choice to remain committed to the cause, build myself up again in as much as I can, resume my journey along that tortuous learning curve.

It occurs to me - perhaps I'm kidding myself. Perhaps my back injury has inexorably changed the course of events and there actually is no choice. Perhaps the decision has been made for me already but not communicated adequately to me by life's events.

Once again - climbing is a metaphor for life. You can survey a route before attempting to climb it, and in so doing you may get some ideas on what moves you might like to make where and what path you might take, but you only really find out what's required and what works when you get there, bit by bit as you go along. As Rumi tells us, "the way appears" as you go along the way.

And so with my healing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.